A large number of landlords choose to use the services of a Letting Agent to find tenants and manage their property. The reason for this is that they want to deal with a property professional offering a high level of service.
However not all Letting Agents are the same, you as a landlord may want to consider using an ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents) Licenced Agent. Letting Agents that are members of ARLA have voluntarily joined the association and taken a formal qualification that gives them the knowledge and experience that will minimise the stress from letting and managing your property.
ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents) are a reputable and recognised professional body that exists to promote high professional standards in service and knowledge that in turn helps the consumer within the lettings industry including tenants as well as landlords.
ARLA members work to a Strict Code of Practice relating to professional and ethical practice; in short they must support and promote their clients’ interests whilst continually acting in an open and proper manner.
As a landlord you will get the following 5 assurances using an ARLA licensed member :
- ADVICE – Advice from a qualified and trained agent who can give you professional and up to date advice. Members must carry out a minimum level of Continual Professional Development (CPD) each year.
- REDRESS – There is a path to redress if something goes wrong. All members must belong to an independent redress scheme such as The Property Ombudsman who can award payments up to £25,000
- CLIENT MONEY PROTECTION – The member will be covered by ARLA’s own Client Money Protection Scheme (CMP). ARLA have the option to make grants up to certain limits if you suffer financial loss due to the dishonesty or bankruptcy of the member
- PROFESSIONAL CONDUCT – You are dealing with agents who voluntarily follow the Code of Practice and Rules of Conduct set out by ARLA. An agent can be fined or even expelled for not following the Code. ARLA’s disciplinary body ranges from warnings to fines of up to £5000
- INSURANCE – The agency has Professional Indemnity Insurance. With this in place a successful claim should provide financial cover should a member neglect, badly advise, or mishandle data.
Please feel free to contact me if you want to find out more about our level of service or any general queries regarding lettings and property management.
Chamak Digwa (ARLA Licensed Agent)
Green City Lettings